Saturday, July 5, 2008

Trying to be Green at a Barack Obama Rally

Last week, my wife and I had the pleasure of attending a rally for Barack Obama. It was intended to be a small rally with the focus on veterans, so only 1000 people were allowed to attend. Because of the intimate outdoor environment, everyone had a great view.

After standing without water in 90 degree heat for 2 hours to score the rally tickets, I decided I should bring some water to the rally. I don't drink bottled water, and I don't like to use plastic for water bottles, so I did what I usually do: I filled a glass jar with tap water.

Off to the rally I went.

When I got there, my water jar was confiscated by security. I was told that water was available at the rally, or I could buy bottled water. Apparently this a requirement of the venue more so than the Secret Service. Although I was appreciative for the free water, I had to use styrofoam cups.

The rally was great, and I strongly support Obama. But I was disappointed to once again run into "systems" that do not even allow me the opportunity to avoid the disposable society. There are times you either must go thirsty or hungry, or else capitulate and just go with the flow of waste. These "systems" don't allow a choice. Its my hope as America matures with its green thinking that these systems can be improved to at least allow someone to opt out. I would appreciated the chance to get a drink of water without being forced to contribute to the waste stream.

No comments: